Why Cinder by Marissa Meyer Belongs in the Cinders (but not really)

       by Benjamin C.
       Welcome back to blogging with Benji, where there’s no need to be shelf-concious! This month I’ll be discussing Cinder, a 2012 novel by Marissa Meyer. It details the experiences of a teenage cyborg named Cinder who lives in a futuristic world plagued by a deadly sickness letumosis. Cyborgs are downtrodden and oppressed by society due to their unnerving prosthetics and metal parts that causes them to be seen as ‘inhuman’ and even repulsive. Based on Cinderella, Cinder lives in an apartment with her mother Adri and step-sisters Peony and Pearl, and the story includes a royal ball, a handsome prince, and even magic (or something close to it). However, Cinder is definitely its own unique story and only has loose connections to Cinderella. Linh Cinder is a mechanic in New Beijing, a city in the “Eastern Commonwealth” ruled by Emperor Rikan and Prince Kaito/Kai. Cinder was brought to New Beijing after being adopted by a scientist who died of the letumosis shortly after
Cinder’s adoption. Letumosis is a deadly plague known as the “blue fever” that has four stages that progress rapidly. Letumosis affects many key characters such as Peony and even Emperor Rikan. It is said that Lunars (a mutated race of humans that live on the moon) brought letumosis to Earth through refugees that escaped from Luna (the moon). Lunars are immune to letumosis and also have bioelectric powers that can be used to manipulate human minds. Queen Levana, the ruler of the Lunars, maintains a glamour that tricks others into seeing her as extremely beautiful and also uses her bioelectric powers to silence any signs of rebellion on Luna. She is an evil queen that is trying to take over Earth through a marriage alliance with Prince Kai. Cinder takes place over a short period of time (about two weeks) that leads up to Kai’s coronation and subsequent royal ball.
       The premise of Cinder was very enticing to me since it seemed like a refreshing turn from the classic “Cinderella story” and other parodies. Cinder does a great job of incorporating enough
elements so that it is still somewhat recognizable as a variation of Cinderella while also evolving into a completely different and unique story. The interactions between cyborgs and humans was also interesting in that the reader saw everything from the point of view of a cyborg (Cinder) while it is popular opinion that cyborgs are less than human. The reader sees Cinder develop as a character and experience very real and human emotions while also being contrasted with differences like Cinder not being able to cry due to having no tear ducts. This conflict of what defines a human made Cinder more interesting to me since it deepened the story and made me feel empathy for Cinder since her dilemma is presented skillfully in an easy-to-understand way.
       However, Cinder also has several flaws that made the book less enjoyable. A major plot twist that was revealed near the end of the book was not particularly surprising since Meyer made it too obvious while trying to hint at it and setup the reveal. Though I was able to anticipate the main plot twist, I was not expecting the extremely abrupt cliffhanger ending of Cinder that felt forced and unnatural. When I reached the end of the book, I continued to flip the page since the ending was like someone took two books and split them in half at an arbitrary point. The romantic aspect of Cinder was also boring to me since it was too straightforward and bland. The book would have been much better if there had been more complex relationships, character dynamics, and unexpected plot twists. Overall, Cinder was still an entertaining relatively quick and easy read that I recommend for anyone who is looking Cinder deserves an oleaginous 8.5/13 slices on the authoritative and patent pending Bologna Blog Scale.

Comments

  1. Great review! I've never read Cinder myself, and until I read this review, I had only heard positive comments about it. Your review enlightened me on some of the aspects of the book that may make it not as amazing as I have heard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I love Cinder. I think the book will make more sense if you read all four books. I absolutely love the story- and I think that after the first book the author does develop more plot twists (good ones at that) and complex characters and relations. I highly recommend this book- it has to be one of my favorites (i've read it twice- the entire series that is)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Cinder is not my favorite book in the series, (Winter is) but it's still really good. As a stand alone book it is great, and the series is amazing. I think it's my favorite series, (although Legend is almost, if not as good)

      Delete
  3. This was a good review overall. I like how you stated what you thought the book's flaws were while not saying it was completely terrible. I have read Cinder before, and remember not enjoying it very much, even though all of the reviews I read of the book were generally positive. This post reinforces my views on the book, so thanks. (Also, I searched up the definition for "oleaginous" and I'm not sure I would describe this book's rating the same way.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember seeing this book on the shelf of my middle school library, but never quite mustering up enough motivation to read it. However, after reading your review, I think I will! This book has a very unique and intriguing plot premise, and I'm curious to read about the failed plot twist and cliff hanger you alluded to. I also appreciate how you gave a lot of information on the book without giving away any major plot points. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good review. I agree with most of what you said. Cinder is a great book. I read the entire series, and I think it's my favorite series to date. I disagree that the cliffhanger was too obvious. While the author did hint at it, and I did figure this out about Cinder before the reveal, the character's reactions also made the reveal good. I did not have a problem with that. I do agree that the romance was bad, but that's probably just because I'm not a huge fan of romance in books. I still think the book is great, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember reading this book in elementary school and thinking it was the greatest thing on earth, but reading your review I can see that you made some very valid points when pointing out the flaws in the book. Good review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a good review! I've tried reading this book before, but I couldn't quite get into it. I think you made some good and fair points about the positive and negative aspects of this novel. You also gave a nice summary without spoiling and major plot points.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment