A Story of Guilt, Fear, and Everything in Between: Saint Anything by Sarah Dessen

Busted. How do you feel when your role model, the sunshine in your world, gets caught for a crime that should not have happened?

Image result for saint anythingSaint Anything by Sarah Dessen follows Sydney Stanford as she grapples with the prison sentence of her older brother, Peyton. Being the shining star, Peyton was the perfect example of what Sydney should become. He was a high achieving student, good at almost everything, and he turned heads just by being in the room. Living in the shadow of her flawless brother, Sydney grew accustomed to being second until he ended up in jail. Sydney and her parents had viewed Peyton as flawless, but this flawless act, however, was broken by a series of small offenses. As these small offenses soon morphed into major crimes, including a drunk driving accident that landed him in prison, Peyton receives even more attention, or rather, concern.

As Sydney’s mom is in denial and her father is distancing himself, Sydney is left to bear the guilt that her parents refuse to withhold. After all, is she the only one who is concerned about the victim of the crime, David Ibarra, who is now paralyzed forever? In efforts to hide the sins of her brother, Sydney transfers to the public high school, Jackson High, and meets siblings Layla and Mac Chatham, whose family owns a pizzeria. Finally, for the first time in her life, Sydney is noticed and appreciated. No longer is she second, but rather, she finds the spotlight. However, as Sydney is living in this new change, she meets tough choices followed by more choices. Things become complicated with her brother when he decides to push his family out of his prison life. But unwilling to let go of Peyton, all Sydney’s mom ever wants to do is talk and visit him. Added on top of that, creepy Ames, Peyton’s best friend and a good family friend, always happens to be at Sydney’s house when her parents are out of town. Something is up with this “friend” and Sydney does not like it.

Of course, no young adult novel is complete without a romantic plotline. As Sydney becomes best friends with Layla, she finds her gaze constantly drifting towards her older brother, Mac. Mac Chatham, just a year older than Sydney at the age of 17, was similar to her own brother, turning heads just by being in the room. However, Sydney must keep this a secret with a fear that Layla will find out. But as the story progresses, more complications arise and Sydney needs to decide between her family and friends. 

Saint Anything by Sarah Dessen was a well-written book. It had a much different scenario compared to other young adult books, hence the prison sentence. The characters in this book were very well developed; it was almost as if I knew these characters in real life. However, having wonderful characters almost made up for the component that was lacking the most, plot. While the plot should come naturally with well-developed characters, I wished there was more structure to the book. Reading this book, I was entranced with the characters and their lives, but I kept thinking over and over again, where is this all going? Sure, there are small conflicts that arise throughout the book and need to be solved, but there is no overarching conflict. Saint Anything was a great book, and it provided a glimpse into the life of a girl with a background similar to many readers. Sarah Dessen is such a proclaimed author that I was disappointed as I reached the end of the book. What happened to all those pages? Overall, I would recommend this book if you enjoy reading about food and realistic fiction with a slight twist. After all, not many of us have siblings that are currently in prison. On the bologna scale, I would give this book 10/13 bologna slices.

Comments

  1. I liked your summary of the book as it caught it my attention and now I want to read this book as well! I appreciated the fact that you added criticism along with praise for Saint Anything as it can point out parts of the book that aren't so appealing. Overall, your review was quite intriguing and entertaining to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your post! This book isn't something I would read on my own because I usually stick to genres like fantasy and sci-fi, so it was interesting to read. I liked your summary of the book -- you were able to give a good summarization without spoiling any major plot twists, which you did by leaving loose ends...but not in a bad way! Rather, it caught my attention and made me want to read the book even more.
    Another thing I thought was pretty cool was the little one-sentence blurb at the top. That gave me a quick glimpse into what I was going to read about so I didn't just jump off into the deep end, as they say.
    As Sarah mentioned above, I also liked how you gave not just compliments but criticisms to Dessen's novel as well. That gave me more of a fair perspective on the novel. I can definitely see from your summary how the book may not have a well-developed plot -- the way you described it I feel like the book has many small story arcs but not a big main overarching one, which may give off the feel of an underdeveloped plot.
    Great review! I enjoyed reading your post and look forward to your next one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This is a great review. I enjoyed your use of suspense and loose ends to draw the reader in to both your review and the book itself. As stated above, the inclusion of criticism as well as compliment really fleshes out the pros and cons of the book. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment